How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Johnson Your Own Question
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10760
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Ed Johnson is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

State of Ohio is trying to collect back taxes for 1990 and

Resolved Question:

State of Ohio is trying to collect back taxes for 1990 and 1992, they show I filed Federal return and said if I could come up with a W2 showing that state taxes had been withheld they would deduct that amount from the total owed. Where would I come up with information like that from 18-20 yrs ago? Any advise
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 8 years ago.

Dear Brosshp,


You can contact the SS administration for copy of your W-2. There is a small fee for that.


The SSA will provide free copies if you need them for a Social Security-related reason, but there is a fee if you need them for reason not related to Social Security. If you need a W-2 copy because you have a question about earnings posted to your Social Security record, for example, we will provide free copies. But if you need them for Federal tax purposes, we will charge $30 for each year. Meanwhile, IRS will provide the same W-2s free if you request them for a tax-related purpose.

Request copies of your W-2s from Social Security using Request for Copy or Transcript of Tax Form (IRS Form 4506) and send it to:

Social Security Administration
Office of Central Operations,
Division of Earnings Records Operations
P.O. Box 33003
Baltimore, MDNNN-NN-NNNN

Include the following:
" Your Social Security number;
" The exact name shown on your Social Security card;
" Any different names shown on your W-2;
" Your complete mailing address;
" The year(s) for which you need copies;
" Your daytime telephone number; and
" The reason for your request.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I can get copies of my W2's from 18 and 20 years ago?


Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 8 years ago.

YES, however, the SSA can not gaurantee they will have state information on them.


They sometimes do and sometimes don't.


The IRS does not maintain copies unless they are part of a tax return already filed for the past 3 years.


They can not provide W-2 information in a transcript form beyond 10 years.


BUT the SSA keeps them for life because of the need for people to apply for SS benefits based on a life time of income.


The problem is, that they also sometimes lose records, and the older the record, the greater the chance a record is incomplete.



Ed Johnson and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you