How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Johnson Your Own Question
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10760
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Ed Johnson is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My fiance will have no income this year, but is paying a large amount of medical expenses

This answer was rated:

If she has no income and pays $20,000 for example in medical expenses, would she get that back or would it be a portion of it?



If she does not have income this year, and had no filing requirement, then the opportunity to take a tax deduction for medical expenses is lost.


She can not carry it forward to the next year.


She can deduct form any reportable taxable income, on schedule A any medical expenses to the extent they exceed 7.5% of her adjusted gross income.


Medical expenses can not be carried forward or backward.


And they are not a refundable tax credit so she had to have taxable income in order to take advantage of this.

Ed Johnson and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you