How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Johnson Your Own Question
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10760
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Ed Johnson is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have accepted a position with the federal government overseas(Germany).

Resolved Question:

I have accepted a position with the federal government overseas(Germany). I currently live in South Carolina and while I know that I will be subject to pay federal taxes, will I still be subject to SC state tax as well?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 8 years ago.



SC will still expect you to file a tax return if you do not break residence by creating a residence with another state and terminating all connectedness to SC. They, like California and other states, consider such absences temporary and that you will be returning.


The following states, California, Virginia, New Mexico and South Carolina make it very difficult to give up your "tax domicile" in the state and require that you file state income tax returns (and pay the tax) even if you do not move back until years later.


Some of the criteria that they look at to determine if you are a resident for state income tax purposes includes your driver license, if you register to vote there, if you maintain an address there, the location of your bank accounts, if you own or rent real property there, the license plates on your cars, and if you still receive utility bills in that state.



Ed Johnson and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you