Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
586644

I have accepted a position with the federal government overseas(Germany).

I have accepted a position with the federal government overseas(Germany). I currently live in South Carolina and while I know that I will be subject to pay federal taxes, will I still be subject to SC state tax as well?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 8 years ago.

DearCustomer

SC will still expect you to file a tax return if you do not break residence by creating a residence with another state and terminating all connectedness to SC. They, like California and other states, consider such absences temporary and that you will be returning.

The following states, California, Virginia, New Mexico and South Carolina make it very difficult to give up your "tax domicile" in the state and require that you file state income tax returns (and pay the tax) even if you do not move back until years later.

Some of the criteria that they look at to determine if you are a resident for state income tax purposes includes your driver license, if you register to vote there, if you maintain an address there, the location of your bank accounts, if you own or rent real property there, the license plates on your cars, and if you still receive utility bills in that state.