How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29799
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a wheelchair access ramp that was put in my home by

Customer Question

I have a wheelchair access ramp that was put in my home by the VA/medicare. I did not have to pay for it. Can I donate it to a charitable organization and obtain a tax credit, or do I have to show proof of purchase with this type of donation? I have been told it's value is $10,000.00.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 8 years ago.

Please see for reference the IRS publication 526 -

If you contribute property to a qualified organization, the amount of your charitable contribution is generally the fair market value of the property at the time of the contribution. However, if the property has increased in value, you may have to make some adjustments to the amount of your deduction.

If you contribute property with a fair market value that is more than your basis in it, you may have to reduce the fair market value by the amount of appreciation (increase in value) when you figure your deduction.

Property is capital gain property if its sale at fair market value on the date of the contribution would have resulted in long-term capital gain. Capital gain property includes capital assets held more than 1 year.

When figuring your deduction for a gift of capital gain property, you generally can use the fair market value of the gift.


So - if you held the ramp more than a year - you may deduct its fair market value.

Please be aware of reporting requirements:

You must complete Section B of Form 8283 for each item or group of items for which you claim a deduction of over $5,000.

The organization that received the property must complete and sign Part IV of Section B.

If an organization, within 3 years after the date of receipt of a contribution of property for which it was required to sign a Form 8283, sells, exchanges, or otherwise disposes of the property, the organization must file an information return with the Internal Revenue Service on Form 8282, Donee Information Return, and send you a copy of the form.

Let me know if you need any help.