How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15443
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I work in PA and live in NY. State tax is withheld for both.

Customer Question

I work in PA and live in NY. State tax is withheld for both. I am told I am entitled to a credit for the extra state I apy and to deduct the state taxes from my federal income tax liability. How do I get what I em entitled to fropm the state(s) and the IRS? Thanks, SR
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 8 years ago.


Since you live in one state and live in another you will need to file 2 state tax returns. One for your resident state (NY) and one for your Nonresient state (PA).

On your NY state return you will receive a credit for taxes paid to the nonresident state since you are taxed on all income by your resident state.

Here is the instructions for this as copied from the NY state Tax return:


Line 41 - Resident credit

"Did you have income from sources outside New York State and

pay income tax to another state, a local government of another

state, the District of Columbia, or to a province of Canada? If

No, go to line 42.

If Yes, complete Form IT-112-R, New York State Resident Credit,

and, if applicable, Form IT-112-C, New York State Resident

Credit for Taxes Paid to a Province of Canada. Enter the total

amount of resident credit on line 41 and attach either form or

both forms to your return."


To make this process easier, do your Nonresident return first for PA since you will need information from it to complete your credit for the NY return.


Your federal return should take into account both state taxes withheld regardless which is your resident state.


I hope this information is helpful,