How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29796
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If the Ret. plan box (#13 on my W-2) has an x in it, and

This answer was rated:

If the "Ret. plan" box (#13 on my W-2) has an 'x' in it, and I did not participate in my employers retirement plan (403b), will the IRS question , or allow me to deduct the $2,400 I contributed to an IRA on my own?

the "Ret. plan" box (#13 on your W-2) with 'x' - means not that you are participating in the retirement plan or not - but if your employer provided the retirement plan for you and you are eligible to participated.


Generally - the fact you have retirement plan at work (regardless if you choose to participate or not) doesn't affect your eligibility to contribute additional funds into your own IRA.

However - if you have retirement plan at work - your deductions to traditional IRA might be limited - - use this table to determine if your modified AGI affects the amount of your deduction.


IF your filing
status is ...
AND your modified adjusted gross income (modified AGI)
is ...
THEN you can take ...
single or
head of household
$53,000 or lessa full deduction.
more than $53,000
but less than $63,000
a partial deduction.
$63,000 or moreno deduction.
married filing jointly or
qualifying widow(er)
$85,000 or lessa full deduction.
more than $85,000
but less than $105,000
a partial deduction.
$105,000 or moreno deduction.
married filing separately less than $10,000a partial deduction.
$10,000 or moreno deduction.


Let me know if you need any help.


Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Looks like I'm in that "partial range. How can I calculate my AGI without first knowing how much I can deduct?? In looking at the worksheet in the instructions, it asks "were you covered by a retirement plan?" --and then refers me to page 31. based on what it says on page 31, I would answer yes, but I never even signed up for the plan. (My contributions were NOT to a Roth IRA). If it turns out I can only deduct partial of my contributions, then I am essentially contributing some taxed money to an IRA, without the benefit of having a Roth?

There are several types of benefits in connection with IRAs:

-- contribution to traditional IRA may be dedutible on your tax return.

-- tax liability on earnings in Roth IRA may be completely waived.

-- tax liability on earnings in traditional IRA is deferred till distribution


So - you if you can't deduct contribution into the traditional IRA - your better choice is to contribute into the Roth IRA, but if you can't contribute into the Roth IRA because of limitations - you may contribute into traditional IRA, but would not be able to deduct your contribution - so you would be able to get minimal benefits - but still will be benefit from contribution.


"were you covered by a retirement plan?" - the answer is yeas because you are covered - that was your choice not to participate - but you ARE covered.


How the contribution limit is determined?

Assuming you are single below 50 and with AGI $58,000.

If you earn less than $53,000 - your contribution limit would be $5000,

but with AGI $58,000 - your contribution limit will be only $2500 - so - if you contribute $5000 - only $2500 would be deductible , and another $2500 will be not deductible.

In this case - you better to contribute $2500 into traditional IRA and another $2500 into Roth IRA.

The worksheet "Figuring Your Reduced IRA Deduction for 2008 is on the page 19 -

Let me know if you need any help.


Customer: replied 8 years ago.
okay.. i think I get it: I'm screwed!! box 1 on my W-2 is $62,997.91 I earned $302.40 in taxable interest. This makes line 15 (1040A) 63,300. This is my TOTAL income, not adjusted..... Is line 15 my "modified AGI"? You said my modified AGI in the above answer and the tax instuctions state to use the number from line 15. It seems to possibly make a difference since I'm so close.

please see the Worksheet 1-1. Figuring Your Modified AGI on the page 17.
Use this worksheet to figure your modified AGI for traditional IRA purposes.

For most people "modified AGI" and AGI are the same.

Your AGI is on the form 1040A, line 22.


That likely means - you still could make a contribution into traditional IRA, but will not be able to deduct any contributions - in this case Roth IRA contribution would be a better choice.


Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I cannot believe how cheated I feel! If I had known this at the beginning of the tax year, I would have surely contributed @ my job. The tax code is convoluted enough, the instuctions are just as bad, if not worse!! I don't belive it will make a difference in my case, but I also have student loan interest. Since I've learned my IRA contributions are not deductible, I now must use the 'Student Loan Deduction Worksheet' putting $0 for line 3 on this worksheet. This ultimately has a negative impact on how much student loan interest I can deduct.

I feel sorry for your situation.

The student loan interest deduction is limited by $2,500, but the limit will be reduced if your MAGI is more than $55,000 but less than $70,000


With all these knowledge you will have better plan for 2009.


Please do not be too frustrated - with situation that you just started your career and your income relatively small compare to future growth - in long run - you might benefit from contributing into Roth IRA. Especially considering possible tax rate increase.


Lev and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you