Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am a senior of 64 yrs. I have not paid taxes for at least

Customer Question
I am a senior of...
I am a senior of 64 yrs. I have not paid taxes for at least 10 yrs. Do I serve time because I have no money , but I have time to serve time, to pay for my crime. Please help and answer me right away.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
4/2/2009
Tax Professional: Jesse Handel, Tax Preparer replied 8 years ago
Jesse Handel
Jesse Handel, Tax Preparer

HelloCustomer Thank you for coming to Just Answer and allowing us to help you with your tax questions. The IRS won't put you into jail unless you have known that you owe money and have been deliberately defrauded them. If you do owe any money, they will arrange a payment plan.

I will assume that you are single, since you say that "I" did. Any year in the last ten years that you had no income other than Social Security, you didn't owe taxes and you didn't have to file. Any year that your other income, without your Social Security, was less than $3000, you didn't have to file. If you did earn income in addition to your social security, then add up all of your income plus half of your social security earnings. If that amount is less than $25000, you don't have to pay taxes on your income in 2009.

If your income is low enough that the conditions above are met, you probably aren't in any trouble with the IRS. If you owed large amount of taxes, the IRS would probably have contacted you by now. The best thing you can do is contact the IRS either at 1-800-829-1040 or look in your local phone book under "United States Government Internal Revenue Service". These folks will check on your situation and make sure that everything gets all straightened out. You can all get further help at the AARP Free Tax Clinic in your local town. You can find a local for them by calling the AARP.

I hope this answers your questions. Please let me know if you need more information.

Jesse Handel
Jesse Handel, Tax Preparer
Jesse Handel
Jesse Handel
Jesse Handel, Tax Preparer