How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Arthur Rubin Your Own Question
Arthur Rubin
Arthur Rubin, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1561
Experience:  22 years of tax preparation experience, including individual, trust, and estate returns.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Arthur Rubin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i want to know who are in my taxes because i got a letter about

Customer Question

i want to know who are in my taxes because i got a letter about a tax refund because the irs did an error in fileing my taxes but the letter only came with my name and my husbands. not our little boys name. is it because our boy did not get filed in our taxes. or does that not matter?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 8 years ago.

Please let me know what is stated in the letter?

Does the IRS reject your claim for a dependent?

Please let me know.


Customer: replied 8 years ago.

they wrote the letter because there was an error in my 2008 federal income tax return. they say they changed the amount of the recovery rebate credit i claimed on line 70 of my 1040 form because the amount that was entered was computed incorrectly.


the amount of refund that it states is $3,875.00

and the letter was sent to me and my husband but it does not say the dependents name. and i was wondering if its becasue he was not filed in or because he was a minor that his name did not show up?

also i dont know if they mean that i am going to recieve that amount stated or if they overpayed me that amount. can u help me?

my gross income was $12,400.00

and total payments was $3,875.00-

and that the amount of overpayment is $3,875.00

does that mean i should'nt of gotten anything or what? i dont get it i am confused.

Expert:  Arthur Rubin replied 8 years ago.



The letter is addressed to the taxpayers, which is you and your husband. Your son's name shouldn't appear unless they were questioning your dependency exemption for him.


For the recovery rebate credit, we would need to know what your economic stimulus payment was for 2007. If it was $1500, then you do not qualify for an additional rebate, and line 70 should be 0.


To determine that amount, you can go to the How Much Was My 2008 Stimulus Payment? web page, and fill out the forms.