How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Your Own Question
Dave, Bookkeeper
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 697
Experience:  Four years doing books, taxes, and accounting
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Dave is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

im not married, but have lived with my boy friend for 5 years.we

Resolved Question:

im not married, but have lived with my boy friend for 5 years.we have a 1 year old child together and he is the stay at home dad.he does not work. i work full time as a teacher and am the sole provider of the question is, can i claim my boyfriend as a dependent on my tax return?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Dave replied 8 years ago.
Good evening convince_me and welcomet to Just Answer!

As long as your boyfriend meets the qualifying requirements you are permitted to claim him as a dependent on your taxes. From what you have said he appears to meet the 4 tests. He is not a qualifying child, he has lived in your household for the entire year, he has no income and you fully support him 100%. Here are the 4 test requirements:

Qualifying Relative
There are four tests that must be met for a person to be your qualifying relative. The four tests are:
1. Not a qualifying child test,
2. Member of household or relationship test,
3. Gross income test, and
4. Support test.

This informatin can be found in publication 501 on page 15+. Here is a link to the publication:

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance. Thank you for using Just Answer and please do not forget to leave feedback after you have clicked the Green Accept button. Have a great week and best of luck with everything.
Dave and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you