Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

We were expecting to claim our 23 year old daughter again this

Customer Question
year since she was a...
We were expecting to claim our 23 year old daughter again this year since she was a college student in 2008, graduating in May. However, she filed and claimed herself. Is it possible to claim her? for even half a year? or is it too late? Thanks for your help.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
4/1/2009
Tax Professional: Merlo, Accountant replied 8 years ago
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
HelloCustomer

If your daughter has already filed a return and claimed her own exemption, then you cannot claim her on your return. There is no such thing as claiming a dependent for only half of the year or taking less than the full exemption.

The only way that you could claim your daughter is if she were to file an amended return on Form 1040X and on her amended return she checks the box on line 6 of Form 1040 which says she can be claimed as a dependent on someone else's return. Depending on how much income she had for the year, this may result in her getting a smaller refund. If she does file the amended return, then you would be able to file and claim your daughter.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you.
Merlo
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant