How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We were expecting to claim our 23 year old daughter again this

Customer Question

We were expecting to claim our 23 year old daughter again this year since she was a college student in 2008, graduating in May. However, she filed and claimed herself. Is it possible to claim her? for even half a year? or is it too late? Thanks for your help.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 8 years ago.

If your daughter has already filed a return and claimed her own exemption, then you cannot claim her on your return. There is no such thing as claiming a dependent for only half of the year or taking less than the full exemption.

The only way that you could claim your daughter is if she were to file an amended return on Form 1040X and on her amended return she checks the box on line 6 of Form 1040 which says she can be claimed as a dependent on someone else's return. Depending on how much income she had for the year, this may result in her getting a smaller refund. If she does file the amended return, then you would be able to file and claim your daughter.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you.