Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

both my spouse and I work out of our home for different employers.

Customer Question
we both have our own...
both my spouse and I work out of our home for different employers. we both have our own income. we file a married - joint tax return. can we both have employee home office expenses even though we share the same office in the same house?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
4/1/2009
Tax Professional: Merlo, Accountant replied 8 years ago
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Hello colbert,

If you have an area in your home which both you and your wife use as an office for your separate businesses, you may take a deduction for the home office.

If you and your wife are both paid W-2 wages, then you would claim one deduction on Form 2106 for Employee Business Expenses. If you and your wife have your income reported to you on a 1099 form and you are filing Schedule C to report your income, then you would need to figure the expense for the home office and then divide that equally between the two of you, and each of you would claim half of the expense on your respective Schedule C forms.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you.

Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Merlo
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant