How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

both my spouse and I work out of our home for different employers.

Resolved Question:

both my spouse and I work out of our home for different employers. we both have our own income. we file a married - joint tax return. can we both have employee home office expenses even though we share the same office in the same house?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 8 years ago.
Hello colbert,

If you have an area in your home which both you and your wife use as an office for your separate businesses, you may take a deduction for the home office.

If you and your wife are both paid W-2 wages, then you would claim one deduction on Form 2106 for Employee Business Expenses. If you and your wife have your income reported to you on a 1099 form and you are filing Schedule C to report your income, then you would need to figure the expense for the home office and then divide that equally between the two of you, and each of you would claim half of the expense on your respective Schedule C forms.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you.

Merlo and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you