How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask jgordosea Your Own Question
jgordosea, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3161
Experience:  I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
jgordosea is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Proceeds of a county club equity membership were reported

Resolved Question:

Proceeds of a county club equity membership were reported to taxpayer on a 1099-B. Are they subject to capital gain/loss based on original investment?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  jgordosea replied 8 years ago.



Sale of a capital asset does have to be reported for personal use property. Gain on the sale of personal use property is included in income subject to tax at capital gain rates; but a loss of personal use property is not allowed.


An example is for sale of a personal residence. Gains are included (currently in some cases only the gain over the amount excluded if you own and occupy fro two of the five years prior to sale); but no loss is allowed on the sale of a personal residence.


Yes, this sale should be reported but if a loss resulted just mark it as personal use property and do not offsent other gains by any of this loss. Most tax software will have a category for marking items as personla use and make the proper notation.


I hope this helps for reporting the sale of a personal use capital asset.

Best wishes.

jgordosea and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you