RD
RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  CPA, MBA, Over 10 yrs of experience in tax planning and business consulting..
510454

my home is in UTAH but I am working as a contractor in California,

my home is in UTAH but I am working as a contractor in California, for the last several months, what expences am I able to deduct
Category: Tax
Expert:  RD replied 8 years ago.

You can deduct the mortgage interest and property taxes that were paid on your UT home on your tax return.

Let me know if you have any question.

Please note: This advice is provided with the understanding that all the relevant facts have been provided by you. Any change in facts might affect the advice given and hence may not be relied on in such cases. Nothing contained in this reply was intended or written to be used, can be used by any taxpayer, or may be relied upon or used by any taxpayer for the purposes of avoiding penalties that may be imposed on the taxpayer under the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
That did not answer my question, What expences that I incur while working in California are deductible
Expert:  RD replied 8 years ago.

Unfortunately, you cannot deduct the rental or other expenses in CA as this is your tax home if you are going to be employed here and this is not your temporary assignment.

Let me know if you have any question.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
What qualifies as a temporary assignment?
Expert:  RD replied 8 years ago.

An assignment which lasts for less than 12 mths...