How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15731
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i have a daugther who is 17 and a senior. she worked and

Resolved Question:

i have a daugther who is 17 and a senior.   she worked and made ~ 6000.    Can i still claim her as a dependent
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 8 years ago.


Your daughter meets all the tests to be claimed as a dependent by you with only the question of support left for you to determine.

Per the IRS to meet this test, the child cannot have provided more than half of his or her own support for the year.


As long as you paid more than half of what it took for your daughter to live then she meets this test as well. You must look at the cost of food , housing , clothes,.... to make this determination.


Please advise your daughter that she is required to file a return and will want to if she had any withholding but advise her also that if you claim her on your return then it is most important that she does not use her personal exemption on her return. Tell her to mark "YES" that someone else can claim her.


I hope this information is helpful,

Robin D. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you