Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

if i get a 1099 for forgiveness of indebtedness, do i have

Customer Question
to include assets outside the...
if i get a 1099 for forgiveness of indebtedness, do i have to include assets outside the US for the insolvency calculation
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
4/1/2009
Tax Professional: Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent replied 8 years ago
Marvin,EA
Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent
Hello and thanks you for using Just Answer. If you received Form 1099-C for assets forgiveness outside the U.S.A. the amounts must be reported on your federal tax return.
Thats not what i asked. please reread my question

I am sorry for the incorrect first respond. The insolvency exclusion calculation apply to all assets (assets owned in the U.S.A. and outside the USA) and all liabilities (liabilities in and outside the U.S.A) to determent the insolvency exclusion. The insolvency exclusion is the amount your total liabilities exceeded the fair market value of your total assets immediately before the discharge. You can read more about debt cancellation at www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p908.pdf.

my question was not about "asset forgiveness"???? I t was about forgiveness of indebtedness and if the insolvency calcualtions needs to inlcude assets outside the U.S. I need to know what you are citing should you reanswer my question
Marvin,EA
Marvin,EA
Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent