Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am a reservist with the Washington State Air National Guard.

On my duty weekends I...
I am a reservist with the Washington State Air National Guard. On my duty weekends I drive to McChord AFB, about 60 miles away. The distance is sufficient that my unit pays for and provides me lodging in either base billeting or an off-site hotel if the base is full on Friday and Saturday night. I purchase my own meals. I understand there is a deduction for reservists that have to stay overnight for their monthly duty. Do I qualify, and if so, how do I take advantage of this deduction on my 1040? Thanks in advance! Dane Stack
4/1/2009
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

HelloCustomer

According to the IRS Publication 3 for Armed Swervice Members, the deductions for travel are related to travel of 100 or more miles from your home.

If you travel 100 or miles from your residence then you are allowed to take the deduction on your return using the Schedule A and Form 2106 for employee expenses and then on LIne 24 of the 1040 for a deduction to income.

Please use the link below to see the instructions for this:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p3.pdf

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX this information is helpful and thank you for what you do,

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4