How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15203
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a reservist with the Washington State Air National Guard.

This answer was rated:

I am a reservist with the Washington State Air National Guard. On my duty weekends I drive to McChord AFB, about 60 miles away. The distance is sufficient that my unit pays for and provides me lodging in either base billeting or an off-site hotel if the base is full on Friday and Saturday night. I purchase my own meals. I understand there is a deduction for reservists that have to stay overnight for their monthly duty. Do I qualify, and if so, how do I take advantage of this deduction on my 1040? Thanks in advance! Dane Stack


According to the IRS Publication 3 for Armed Swervice Members, the deductions for travel are related to travel of 100 or more miles from your home.

If you travel 100 or miles from your residence then you are allowed to take the deduction on your return using the Schedule A and Form 2106 for employee expenses and then on LIne 24 of the 1040 for a deduction to income.

Please use the link below to see the instructions for this:


I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX this information is helpful and thank you for what you do,

Robin D. and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions