How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lou Your Own Question
Lou, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 404
Experience:  25+ yrs Experience Personal Income Taxes - Former DM for H&R Block in California
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lou is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I left a job in 2008 and, upon departing, forfeited a significant

Resolved Question:

I left a job in 2008 and, upon departing, forfeited a significant amount of deferred compensation inthe form of stock options and restricted stock units. Can I consider those securities as abandoned and take a deduction for their value?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lou replied 8 years ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting JustAnswer. We appreciate the opportunity to be of service to you.


If one of the conditions of your receiving those options was your continued employment and you separated from service then you are not in a position to claim any losses.


You can only declare losses on owned business property that loses value. It would be like asking to get a tax deduction for lost wages because you separated from service.


Usually deferred compensation plans require continued service to the company in order to gain any ownership of the assets in the plan.


I know it would be nice to be able to do as you have ddescribed and I wish I could tell you that was an option availalbe to you.


If you have any further questions on this topic, be sure andd get back to me.


Lou and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you