Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

After working for five years and paying taxes in Ct. I moved

Customer Question
After working for five years...
After working for five years and paying taxes in Ct. I moved to Las Vegas for six months paying taxes there. Then to Mississippi for six month paying taxes there. I've now moved to Singapore and have a three year contract with a company and plan to stay three years or longer. My question:- I have a house in Ct. my wife and daughter live there and they did not move to L.V or MS. with me. Do I pay taxes to Mississippi where I was last employed or Ct. where my family and house are?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
4/1/2009
Tax Professional: Lou, Tax Preparer replied 8 years ago
Lou
Lou, Tax Preparer

Hello and thank you for contacting JustAnswer. We appreciate the opportunity to be of service to you.

Because your tax home is CT you will file as a CT resident and MS non-resident. You will receive credit for the taxes you paid in MS on your CT return.

Here is a link to MS Tax Commission where you can get forms and instructions for completing you MS tax return.

http://www.mstc.state.ms.us/

Nevada has no state income tax.

You will qualify, it appears based upon your question, for the foreign income tax credit for the next 3 or so years. I am attaching a link that you might find helpful in that area:

http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc856.html

If you have further questions on this topic, be sure and get back to me.

Lou
Lou, Tax Preparer
Thank you I hope to get the foreign income tax credit.
Based upon what you have said you should qualify for the foreign tax credit.
Lou
Lou
Lou, Tax Preparer