How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lou Your Own Question
Lou, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 404
Experience:  25+ yrs Experience Personal Income Taxes - Former DM for H&R Block in California
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lou is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

After working for five years and paying taxes in Ct. I moved

Customer Question

After working for five years and paying taxes in Ct. I moved to Las Vegas for six months paying taxes there. Then to Mississippi for six month paying taxes there. I've now moved to Singapore and have a three year contract with a company and plan to stay three years or longer. My question:- I have a house in Ct. my wife and daughter live there and they did not move to L.V or MS. with me. Do I pay taxes to Mississippi where I was last employed or Ct. where my family and house are?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lou replied 8 years ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting JustAnswer. We appreciate the opportunity to be of service to you.


Because your tax home is CT you will file as a CT resident and MS non-resident. You will receive credit for the taxes you paid in MS on your CT return.


Here is a link to MS Tax Commission where you can get forms and instructions for completing you MS tax return.


Nevada has no state income tax.


You will qualify, it appears based upon your question, for the foreign income tax credit for the next 3 or so years. I am attaching a link that you might find helpful in that area:


If you have further questions on this topic, be sure and get back to me.

Lou and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you I hope to get the foreign income tax credit.
Expert:  Lou replied 8 years ago.
Based upon what you have said you should qualify for the foreign tax credit.