How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15176
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Selling shares of stock in S-corp. Subject to Long Term Capital

Customer Question

Selling shares of stock in S-corp. Subject to Long Term Capital Gains (held more than 3 years). Payment is by interest bearing promissory note over 5-year period. Is the Capital Gains calculated at the time the note is issued and due during the tax year the promissory note is issued?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 8 years ago.


Since a promissory note is held over time and not paid at time of sell then I advise the following:


If the purchase price is paid through the issuance of a

promissory note, the shareholders can generally report the

gain on an installment basis so long as:

seller is a cash based taxpayer

promissory note is not payable on demand

stock sold is not publicly traded


In an installment sale, selling shareholders report proportionate amount of gain as they collect portions of the purchase price.


So you will be showing your capital gains over the period of the note.


I hope this inofration is helpful,

Robin D. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Definitely helpful. That covers it.
Expert:  Robin D. replied 8 years ago.