How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I cant remember what I owe for Colorados state income tax.

Customer Question

I can't remember what I owe for Colorado's state income tax. I filed on line with H&R Block but didn't have the money to send in on 1 February. I still don't understand why I must pay state income tax when I earned NONE of my retirement money here; i'm from Texas. I've paid the state tax for the last two years I've been here but can't seem to find out what I owe now.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 8 years ago.
Hello Susan,

If you filed using the H & R Block on line software, do you still remember your user ID and password?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Expert:  Merlo replied 8 years ago.
Hello again Susan,

If you still have your user ID and password, all you need to do is sign back in to the H&R Block software and then select the option to print your return. The copy of the state return will then show you what you owe.

By the way, the reason you are required to pay state tax is on your retirement is because you are a resident of Colorado. Tax on retirement income is always based on the state where you live when you receive it.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button.

Thanks for using JA.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I re-contacted H&R Block but there was no place to print my return; only place to print my account information. I left the same question for the woman who reviewed my return as I asked you; WHAT do I owe? Would it help if I sent you numbers from my 1099-R?
Expert:  Merlo replied 8 years ago.
Hello again Susan

Unfortunately having only your 1099 form would not help me figure your state tax.

Did you actually use the H&R software on line to prepare your taxes or did you physically go to an H&R Block office to have them done?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I finally got H&R Block to send me a copy of my 2008 return; the State of Colorado tax is cited there. I owe them $891. Good luck to me paying that anytime soon.

Thanks for trying to help me. Do I "hit" ACCEPT now to be charged?
Expert:  Merlo replied 8 years ago.
Hello Susan,

I believe you have already paid for your question. Hitting Accept just gives me credit for helping, but I don't think I was much help.

But I'm glad you got the information you needed.