Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

What does it mean when my return goes from a 1121 to 1201.

Customer Question
I was is 1121 for...
What does it mean when my return goes from a 1121 to 1201. I was is 1121 for 3 weeks then went to 1201. It went to 1201 day it was suppose to release from review. I called several time and was told I have a refund date and amount however the code online sence then changed to 1201. Is this something I need to get a legal fire under the IRS?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
3/19/2009
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 8 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Code 1121 means that your return has been pulled from the automated processing queue for review by a human. It's the first step in the formal audit process.

Code 1201 is an administrative code that means there is a delay in processing your return. While your return was selected, something triggered a desk audit, and is an IRS agent will review it. In most situations it causes one-two weeks of an additional processing time to get your refund.

According to the IRS, 1201 is a "catch all" code when no other code applies. It was generated by the computer so if you call IRS - the agent might not know what exactly triggered the review. It may be random selection as well.

This is not an error and not an audit - this is normal IRS process - the assigned IRS agent will review your return and in most situation it will be processed without any problem.

I do not think that you need to worry at this moment - just wait couple weeks and see if the problem resolved.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
I have already waited 3 weeks. And was told when I called in that there IS a refund date for tommorrow however now the website show 1201. This is a real waist of time and effort when they already pulled for a manual review when they did a 1121. So if it shows 1201 and they show a refund date of 3/20/2009 is that a correct answer or they just pull a second time.

If you call the IRS - representative generally see the same information that you see and does not know the real situation.

But the fact of changing the code is a good sign that you case is moving.

The exact wording from the manual :

1121 Problem identified; P-Freeze IRM 21.5.6.4.23 , P- Freeze

you may read about the meaning of the P- Freeze here - http://www.irs.gov/irm/part21/ch05s06.html

1201 All other conditions not covered by a status code - conduct account analysis

I suggest just to wait.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor