Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

What to do if employer refuses to give 1099?

Customer Question
I have an employer that...

I have an employer that refuses to give me my 1099 from last year.

Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/16/2009
Tax Professional: RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 8 years ago
RD
RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Even if the employer refuses to give you the Form 1099, you are required to report the income you received from that employer. Hence, I would suggest you to report the income that you received.

Isn't required by law to give me a copy?

Are you working as an individual or as a Corporation?

Individual

Yes, the contractor is required to issue a Form 1099 to you if he paid you $600 or more for services in the ordinary course of his business. He can be penalized for not issuing these forms. However, the non receipt of Form 1099 cannot be a reason for you to not report this income.

I plan on including the income - how do I go about getting him penailzed?

You can just inform the IRS that you have no been issued Form 1099 for your services. Then, they may proceed against him for the penalty.

RD
RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
RD
RD
RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)