How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was given a check for $100,000.00 to repay a loan. The check

This answer was rated:

I was given a check for $100,000.00 to repay a loan. The check was drawn on a closed bank account. Under Florida statutes this is fraud. The person who wrote the check has been convicted and the money is uncollectable. Can I write the $100,000.00 loss off on my US taxes in one year or do I have to write off $3000.00 per year?
Hello kenw,

Was this a business debt or a personal loan?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hello again kenw,

A personal bad debt is deducted as a short term capital loss and is subject to the capital loss limitations of no more than $3,000 in total capital losses in any one tax year. If your losses exceed the amount you can deduct in the current year, you can carry forward the remaining loss to be deducted in future tax years, until you have been able to deduct the entire amount.

To be deductible, nonbusiness bad debts must be totally worthless. You cannot deduct a partly worthless nonbusiness debt.
A debt must be genuine for you to deduct a loss. A debt is genuine if it arises from a debtor-creditor relationship based on a valid and enforceable obligation to repay a fixed or determinable sum of money.

For a bad debt, you must show that there was an intention at the time of the transaction to make a loan and not a gift. If you lend money to a relative or friend with the understanding that it may not be repaid, it is considered a gift and not a loan. You cannot take a bad debt deduction for a gift. There cannot be a bad debt unless there is a true creditor-debtor relationship between you and the person or organization that owes you the money.

You can take a bad debt deduction only in the year the debt becomes worthless. You do not have to wait until a debt is due to determine whether it is worthless. A debt becomes worthless when there is no longer any change that the amount owed will be paid. It is not necessary to go to court if you can show that a judgment from the court would be uncollectible. You must only show that you have taken reasonable steps to collect the debt. Bankruptcy of your debtor is considered good evidence of the worthlessness of at least a part of an unsecured debt.

Please refer to the following IRS publication under the section titled “Capital Gains and Losses – Nonbusiness Bad Debts”. On page 54 under the section titled “How To Report Bad Debts” you will find specific instructions on how to report a bad debt on Schedule D.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you.

Merlo and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you