How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29581
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Brother and I bought a house last year. We are both owners

This answer was rated:

My Brother and I bought a house last year. We are both owners but the mortgage is in my name. I'm about to file my taxes and I need advice. What's the best way for us to handle the tax deduction of the mortgage interest since it's in my name? Is there a form I can fill out with his portion of the mortgage so he can claim deductions on his tax return, or do I use the whole deduction on my return and pay him the difference? What is the best way to handle this and what are the pros and cons for any solution? Thank you.

Generally - as long as your name is XXXXX XXXXX the title - as an owner or co-owner - you may deduct taxes and mortgage interest paid by you.

Your brother may deduct portion of taxes and mortgage interest paid by him.

There should not be double dipping - you may not deduct the same amount twice.


As long as you agree with your brother who will deduct and which amount - there should not be any problem - no any additional document needed to provide with your return.

If the IRS would question your return - you should be able to provide the proof that you own the property and you paid the portion of taxes and mortgage interest you reported as deduction.


Lev and 6 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you