Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Regarding real estate taxes, our county collects the first

payment for the year in...
Regarding real estate taxes, our county collects the first payment for the year in Dec and second payment in April of the following year. Do I report only the amount paid in Dec?
3/2/2009
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Hello janalee,

If you are preparing your 2008 tax returns, you can deduct any payments you made for real estate tax during the year of 2008. If you made a payment both in April 2008 and in Dec. 2008, then you would deduct both of those payments.

Payments made in April of 2009 and in Dec of 2009 will be deductible on your 2009 tax return.

The taxes are deductible in the year you actually pay them, and not according to the year the taxes actually apply to.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you.
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Merlo
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant