How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I am preparing our 2008 return and am unsure whether a

This answer was rated:

Hi, I am preparing our 2008 return and am unsure whether a court sanction of $9,718.52 my attorney received for me is taxable. I have not received a 1099. The money came from a joint account of my father and me. My uncle is POA for my dad. I have out of pocket expenses of about $80,000 an understand this is not deductible.
Hello Buster,

Could you please provide a little more specific information.

You say this money came from a joint account you hold with your father.

Why was it necessary to go to court to get this money?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks, My uncle who is Power of Attorney for my dad did not supply all of the necessary financial documents during the discovery portion of the trial. My attorney then aaked th court for repayment.

Hello again Buster,

If the money you received came from an account where you were listed as an equitable owner, then this is not taxable income to you and does not need to be reported on your income tax return.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you.
Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you