How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Johnson Your Own Question
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10760
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Ed Johnson is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

what are my options if my brother (one of my dads heirs) refuses

This answer was rated:

what are my options if my brother (one of my dad's heirs) refuses to provide his social security number so the estate accountant can file a Schedule K1?

You can force the disclosure through court by a hearing in probate court. BUT, that is unrealistic for the cost of such an action. Things become more serious if he is sued and it includes attorney fees.


Your attorney should be able to tell you about other options which include, distributing to heirs who have provided the SS numbers and holding is in escrow.


However the attorney should be able to file without it, by including a note that the person refuses to provide the SSN. The attorney should provide a W-9, along with a note indicating that under IRS regulations, failure to provide a SSN can subject him to a fine from the IRS. (it is nominal, 75 dollars.).




Ed Johnson and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you