Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

what are my options if my brother (one of my dads heirs) refuses

what are my options if...
what are my options if my brother (one of my dad's heirs) refuses to provide his social security number so the estate accountant can file a Schedule K1?
3/2/2009
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer

You can force the disclosure through court by a hearing in probate court. BUT, that is unrealistic for the cost of such an action. Things become more serious if he is sued and it includes attorney fees.

Your attorney should be able to tell you about other options which include, distributing to heirs who have provided the SS numbers and holding is in escrow.

However the attorney should be able to file without it, by including a note that the person refuses to provide the SSN. The attorney should provide a W-9, along with a note indicating that under IRS regulations, failure to provide a SSN can subject him to a fine from the IRS. (it is nominal, 75 dollars.).

Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer