How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i have a c-corp, and federal and california tax returns are

This answer was rated:

i have a c-corp, and federal and california tax returns are due march 15. is it possible to get an extension/file later? if so, how much later can i file? also, if i owe taxes, can the payment on that be delayed until i file at the later date?

If you need more time to complete your 2008 business tax return, you can request an extension of time to file your return.

However, even with an extension, you must estimate how much you owe, if applicable, and send in that amount by the due date. Otherwise, the IRS can invalidate your extension.

Most business tax returns can be extended by filing Form 7004, Application for Automatic 6-Month Extension of Time to File by the due date of the return.

Extension due dates will vary depending on how your business is organized for tax purposes.

Due dates for corporations:
If your business is organized as a corporation, the income tax return or extension is due by the 15th day of the 3rd month after the end of your tax year.

For example, if your corporation is a calendar year taxpayer with a December 31 year end, you must file a 2008 tax return or extension by March 16, 2009. You get the extra day because March 15 falls on a Sunday in 2009.

In the state of California, Corporations (in good standing) that have fully paid their tax liability but cannot file their return by the due date receive an automatic seven-month extension to file the return. Since the extension is automatic, there is no extension request form. If the corporation owes tax, it should submit form FTB 3539 (Payment Voucher for Automatic Extension for Corporations and Exempt Organizations) with payment by the original return due date.

An extension to file is not an extension to pay. Tax is due on or before the original return due date regardless of an extension to file.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you.

Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you