How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MequonCPA Your Own Question
MequonCPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2342
Experience:  CPA, Over 30 yrs experience w/individuals and small businesses. Masters in Tax.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
MequonCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The legal separation was not filed as a court order until February

Resolved Question:

The legal separation was not filed as a court order until February 2009 in California. However, the legal process began in September/October and she moved out 11/1/08. How do we file our income tax?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  MequonCPA replied 8 years ago.



You will file married filing jointly or married filing separately.


Because you are in a community property state, you will probably be better off filing married filing jointly. Filing separately would require a 50/50 allocation of all income and deductions of each of you to be reported on your separate returns unless you have a prenuptual agreement classifying income/assets.

MequonCPA and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you