Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

got a 1099 c form in the mail about 4000 forgiven debt. how

Customer Question
much tax do i pay...
got a 1099 c form in the mail about 4000 forgiven debt. how much tax do i pay on it?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
3/2/2009
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 8 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

What was the reason of debt forgiveness?

Sale of your home? credit card? bankruptcy? others?

The amount of debt forgiven reportable on 1099-C - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1099c.pdf - generally is taxable, unless an insolvency exemption apply -- you should file a form 982 - to proof your insolvency - and might exclude all or part of canceled debt from taxable income.

Please see the IRS Publication 908 Bankruptcy Tax Guide - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p908.pdf - with example of the form 982 on the last page.

Please do not be misled by the bankruptcy guide - you may be insolvent without filing for bankruptcy....

You need to fill a form 982 - to proof your insolvency - that would be sufficient to exclude canceled debt from taxable income.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor