How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29941
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I file the state returns when husband resident in CA, me resident in Hawaii

Customer Question

We filed married jt. for federal inc. But husband lived in Ca (resident)- made money only in Ca. I lived in Hawaii (resident)- made money only in Hawaii.
How do I file state returns.
CA resident - for husband
or CA NR then - he's resident, I'm nonresident
same question for Hawaii state return
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 8 years ago.

If you filed joint federal tax return - and one spouse is non-resident of CA with no CA-source income - you may file CA tax return either as MFJ or MFS.

If you file CA tax return as MFJ - you will use the form 540NR - to determine CA taxable income.

A nonresident is only taxed on income derived from California sources.

see instructions here -


In Hawaii - if you file a joint tax return - all income from both spouses will be taxable.

You may prefer to file Hawaii tax return using MFS status.

See check box on the line 3 -


Expert:  Lev replied 8 years ago.

In additional - see instructions for the form N-11 -

A nonresident married to a Hawaii resident may choose to file a joint return with the resident spouse on Form N-11 or N-13; however, the nonresident will then be taxed on all income from all sources.