How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29574
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I sold my shares in a company in the US. I made almost 200,000

Resolved Question:

I sold my shares in a company in the US. I made almost 200,000 US profit. They sent all the money to me, but did not withhold any tax. I am not a US citizen and a permanent resident of Hong Kong. What tax do I owe.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 8 years ago.

The U.S.-China income tax treaty does not apply to Hong Kong.

As a resident of Hong Kong - the payment is subject of 30% withholding on payment - not sure why taxes were not withheld.


You should file an US tax return as non-resident and claim that income.

Please let me know if you need help with reporting.


Lev and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you