Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I sold my shares in a company in the US. I made almost 200,000

Customer Question
US profit. They sent all...
I sold my shares in a company in the US. I made almost 200,000 US profit. They sent all the money to me, but did not withhold any tax. I am not a US citizen and a permanent resident of Hong Kong. What tax do I owe.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
3/2/2009
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 8 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

The U.S.-China income tax treaty does not apply to Hong Kong.

As a resident of Hong Kong - the payment is subject of 30% withholding on payment - not sure why taxes were not withheld.

You should file an US tax return as non-resident and claim that income.

Please let me know if you need help with reporting.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor