How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was gifted grain from my parents this year and sold the grain.

Resolved Question:

I was gifted grain from my parents this year and sold the grain. Where to I report this income.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 8 years ago.

The profit you made on the sale of the grain should be reported on Schedule D.

If the original acquisition date by your parents was more than a year ago prior to the sale then it is taxed as a long term capital gain. If it was less than a year ago, then you have a short term capital gain.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button.

Thank you.
Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you