How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I am in a combat zone and pay no tax for the whole year

Resolved Question:

If I am in a combat zone and pay no tax for the whole year and i pay for work to be done on my rental investment property during that year which that work is tax deductible, would i get a credit, it's tax deductible but i didn't pay any taxes
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 8 years ago.
Hello david,

If you actively participate in the management of your rental property, then you may deduct up to $25,000 in any one tax year as rental losses against your other income. In years where you have no income, or in years where your other income exceeds your rental losses, you can carry forward the losses to use in a future year.

If in the year you dispose of the rental property you still have losses that you were unable to use in prior years, you may deduct those losses in the year you sell the property.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you.
Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions