Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I recently got a tax bill from a state in which I own property,

Customer Question
have vehicles tagged, but do...
I recently got a tax bill from a state in which I own property, have vehicles tagged, but do not live...If I change the title on these vehicles from this state that wants old taxes to my resident state,(the vehicles are paid for), would this protect them from seizure in case of a tax lieneven if they are in my name titled in my resident state?....This tax problem has just arouse in the past few days,and I have only contacted the state by phone 1 time to get there reasoning for this decision....
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
3/1/2009
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 8 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

You need to be very clear with determination of your residency.

If you change your residency from Alabama to Tennessee in the middle of the year - you need to file your Alabama and Tennessee income tax returns as part year residents.

Tennessee does have income tax - but wages are not taxable - individual income tax rate is 6% - imposed only on interest from bonds and notes and dividends from stock.

Please find here information about registration in Tennessee -

http://www.state.tn.us/revenue/vehicle/titling/titlregnewres.htm

Usually, the home you live in most of the time is your main home In addition, other factors are relevant in determining which home is your main home. Those factors include the following.

1. Your place of employment.

2. The location of your family members' main home.

3. Your mailing address for bills and correspondence.

4. The address listed on your:

1. Federal and state tax returns,

2. Driver's license,

3. Car registration, and

4. Voter registration card.

5. The location of the banks you use.

6. The location of recreational clubs and religious organizations of which you are a member.

I suggest you to have a local CPA or Enroll Agent represent you for the IRS

having the property titled in another state will not protect from garnishments.
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
I have no problems with the IRS....Can Alabama capture a vehicle that is titled in Tennesse that is registered to me?

Yes - Alabama may register a tax lien on your property - the vehicle in your situation - and you would not be able to sell it without paying tax debt.

The might - but not necessary will - issue a levy on your property.

They will also put levies on wages and bank accounts to pay off the tax debt.

All states are short on revenue this time and are more aggressive than previously in collecting the tax debt.

I suggest you to have a local CPA or Enroll Agent to deal with your tax issues.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor