How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i am paying, as a non custodian parent, the majority of support

Resolved Question:

i am paying, as a non custodian parent, the majority of support for child, as set by income table by child support services, state of louisiana. am i entitled to the standard deducyion for that child?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 8 years ago.
Hello johnny,

The rules that determine which parent can claim a child have nothing to do with the amount of support paid by either parent.

The IRS allows the parent with whom the child lives for most of the year to claim the exemption. In a case where a child spends equal time with both parents, then the tie-breaker rule is that the parent with the highest AGI is allowed to claim the exemption.

If your child does not live with you for most of the year, then the only way you could claim the child as a dependent is if the other parent signed Form 8332 to release their claim to exemption.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button.

Thank you.
Merlo and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you