How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anne Your Own Question
Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2429
Experience:  Enrolled Agent with 25 Years Experience specializing Individual and Small Businesses
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Anne is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What is the best way for my partner and I claim our house for

Resolved Question:

What is the best way for my partner and I claim our house for income tax purposes if we are unmarried and own our home?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Anne replied 8 years ago.



Thank you for using justanswer. If both you and your boyfriend's name are on the loan, then you may only claim your portion (50%) on your tax return. You boyfriend will be able to claim his 50% on his tax return. This is true even if only 1 person is able to itemize their deductions on <table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="1">

2008 Form 1040 (Schedules A) Itemized Deduction


Please see page 8 from below:


2008 Publication 936 Home Mortgage Interest Deduction

I hope this helps

Anne and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you