Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Must taxes be withheld from funds collected in the U.S. for

Customer Question
a foreign-based corporation where the...
Must taxes be withheld from funds collected in the U.S. for a foreign-based corporation where the funds are from the foreign company's sales from abroad to companies in the U.S.?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
3/1/2009
Tax Professional: Merlo, Accountant replied 8 years ago
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Hello Tax,

If you are collecting money on behalf of a foreign corporation, then before forwarding that money to the foreign corporation you must withhold 30% for federal taxes.

If the foreign corporation provides you with a signed Form W-8BEN, then you may withhold a lower amount of tax, only if they are claiming tax relief under a tax treaty that their country has with the US.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you.

This is the case even though the corporation is located overseas and not in the U.S.?
Hello again Tax,

Are you collecting funds on behalf of this company and then forwarding them to the foreign location?

Yes to your last question above.
Hello again Tax Novice,

If you are making payments to a foreign person or a foreign corporation, then you are required by law to withhold federal tax at a rate of 30%.

If you have a signed W-8BEN form, the tax withholding rate may be lower, based on whether or not a tax treaty exists between the US and foreign country.

Please refer to the following IRS publication regarding withholding requirements on foreign payments.

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p515/ar02.html#d0e441

If this was helpful please press the Accept button.

Thanks again for using JA.
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Merlo
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant