Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Our son, age 44, has had a stroke and a mild heart attack.

He is a professional photographer...
Our son, age 44, has had a stroke and a mild heart attack. He is a professional photographer, and because of these disabilities his work has been drastically affected. We have been supporting him weekly (his household bills, groceries, doctor bills, utilities) as much as he needs for over a year. My question is: Can we claim any part of this assistance as a tax write-off?
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/1/2009
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Hello nanniesue,

Are you claiming your son as a dependent on your tax return?

No.
Hello again nanniesue,

Unfortunately, none of the expenses would be deductible.

If you were claiming your son as a dependent, then you could deduct any medical expenses you paid on his behalf, and any expenses you paid for someone to assist with his care.

But those types of expenses are only deductible for yourself, your spouse and for someone who you claim as a dependent on your return.

Sorry I could not have given you a better answer that I know you were hoping for.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button.

Thanks for using JA, and good luck to you and your son.

Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Merlo
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant