How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Massachusetts. Can I deduct the state long and term

This answer was rated:

I live in Massachusetts. Can I deduct the state long and term capital gains taxes I need to pay for Massacusetts on my Federal Form as a state tax deduction - and if so where do I include that deduction on the federal form?

If the capital gains tax that you paid to the state was actually paid this year (2009), then you can deduct those taxes when you file next year's federal return. If these are taxes you actually paid in the year 2008, then you may deduct them this year on your federal return.

The taxes are deducted on Schedule A, line 5. Schedule A is used for your itemized deductions. If you do not itemize your deductions, you would not be allowed to deduct these taxes.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you.
Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you