How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Johnson Your Own Question
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10760
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Ed Johnson is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

On line 61 0f my form 1040, I have the letters UT and a dollar

Customer Question

On line 61 0f my form 1040, I have the letters "UT" and a dollar amount that is added to my tax from line 56 for a total S amount. What is "UT"?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 8 years ago.

Dear Rodney,


Thanks for your question.


I am not understanding. My form 1040, line 61 is the total of lines 56 through 60, and it has no designation for codes such as UT.


You must mean the dotted line next to line 61 where the initials may be added for a particular tax. "UT" would be the code for uncollected taxes, particulary:


uncollected social security and medicare taxes on tips, group life insurance or RRTA tax.


this should be reflected in box 12, codes A, B, M, or N on form W-2.