How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29573
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

how do I file my deceased mother taxes

Customer Question

how do I file my deceased mother taxes
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 8 years ago.

Sorry for your loss...

Please see for reference the IRS publication 559 -


All income your mother received while alive is includible on the final return.

The word "DECEASED," the decedent's name, and the date of death should be written across the top of the tax return.

If a personal representative has been appointed, that person must sign the return.

If no personal representative has been appointed and if there is no surviving spouse, the person in charge of the decedent's property must file and sign the return as "personal representative"

You must attach Form 1310 to all returns and claims for refund. -


All income received after your mother died is considered as income of her estate.


Lev and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
how do I file if I dont have her W2 or W4
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i am trying to figure out how i can file her taxes if i don't have her W2 or W4. Do you have any suggestions or information on how i could go about doing so?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Money mouth
Expert:  Lev replied 8 years ago.

You need to collect all tax reporting forms W2, 1099's etc.


If you do not have these forms and do not have information about her income - you would not able to file her tax return.


You would need to contact her employer and other payers and request these forms.