Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

how do I file my deceased mother taxes

Customer Question
how do I file my deceased mother taxes
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
2/16/2009
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 8 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Sorry for your loss...

Please see for reference the IRS publication 559 - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p559.pdf

All income your mother received while alive is includible on the final return.

The word "DECEASED," the decedent's name, and the date of death should be written across the top of the tax return.

If a personal representative has been appointed, that person must sign the return.

If no personal representative has been appointed and if there is no surviving spouse, the person in charge of the decedent's property must file and sign the return as "personal representative"

You must attach Form 1310 to all returns and claims for refund. - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1310.pdf

All income received after your mother died is considered as income of her estate.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
how do I file if I dont have her W2 or W4
i am trying to figure out how i can file her taxes if i don't have her W2 or W4. Do you have any suggestions or information on how i could go about doing so?
Money mouth

You need to collect all tax reporting forms W2, 1099's etc.

If you do not have these forms and do not have information about her income - you would not able to file her tax return.

You would need to contact her employer and other payers and request these forms.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor