Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

How to claim a newborn without a social security number?

Customer Question
How do I claim my...

How do I claim my newborn without having his social security number?

Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
2/3/2009
Tax Professional: Dave, Bookkeeper replied 8 years ago
Dave
Dave, Bookkeeper

Good afternoon and welcome to JustAnswer.

If you do not get a Social Security number for your newborn before the April 15 tax filing deadline, you have two options:

1) You can file your income tax return without claiming the child and then file an amended income tax return when the child has a Social Security number.

2) You can file with the Internal Revenue Service to extend the deadline for filing the tax return.

For more information about getting a Social Security card and number for your newborn, visit the Social Security Web site at www.socialsecurity.gov/ssnumber, or contact us at 800 – 772 – 1213 or 815 – 740 - 2020 for TTY please call 800 – 325 – 0778

http://www.southtownstar.com/business/1376079,011409ssncolumn.article

Why Should I Get A Number For My Baby?

If your child is born in the United States or is a U.S. citizen born abroad, you need a Social Security number to claim your child as a dependent on your income tax return. Your child may also need a number if you plan to:

* Open a bank account for the child;
* Buy savings bonds for the child; Obtain medical coverage for the child; or
* Apply for government services for the child.

Must my child have a Social Security number?

No. Getting a Social Security number for your newborn is voluntary. But, it is a good idea to get a number when your child is born. You can apply for a Social Security number for your baby when you apply for your baby’s birth certificate. The state agency that issues birth certificates will share your child’s information with us and we will mail the Social Security card to you.

If you wait to apply at a Social Security office, you must show us proof of your child’s U.S. citizenship, age and identity, as well as proof of your own identity. We must verify your child’s birth record, which can add up to 12 weeks to the time it takes to issue a card. To verify a birth certificate, Social Security will contact the office that issued it. We do this verification to prevent people from using fraudulent birth records to obtain Social Security numbers to establish false identities.

How do I apply?

At the hospital: When you give information for your baby’s birth certificate, you will be asked whether you want to apply for a Social Security number for your baby. If you say “yes,” you need to provide both parents’ Social Security numbers if you can. Even if you do not know both parents’ Social Security numbers, you can still apply for a number for your child.

At a Social Security office: If you wait to apply for your child’s number, you must:

* Complete an Application For A Social Security Card (Form SS-5); and
* Show us original documents proving your child’s:
o U.S. citizenship;
o Age; and
o Identity.
* Show us documents proving your identity.

Children age 12 or older: Anyone age 12 or older requesting an original Social Security number must appear for an interview at a Social Security office, even if a parent or guardian will sign the application on the child's behalf.
Info obtained from SSA Web site: http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10023.html

Dave
Dave
Dave, Bookkeeper