Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

How can i give forgive my daughter of a mortgage that i do

Customer Question
owner finance without it costing...
How can i give forgive my daughter of a mortgage that i do owner finance without it costing her so much in taxes?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
2/2/2009
Tax Professional: Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent replied 8 years ago
Marvin,EA
Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent
Hello and thanks you for using Just Answer. Are you going to give your daughter a home you own with a mortgage?
yes. i was going to turn it over to her but she is concerned with how much she would pay in taxes. the amout i would forgive would be $35,000. is there somthing else i could do to turn this over to her? porfessor01k
just let me know how much i own you now/. i'm not sure what to do next about my question on turning over the property to my daught i do mortgoge financing.Customer
i don't know how to copy and paste. just tell me how to pay you since i get an invalid response gateway,303 error.

You can gift you daughter the property and she would owe no federal income tax. Any tax due on the gift will be pay by you. A taxpayer can give $13,000 per person to any number recipients in a calendar year without paying federal estate and gift tax. Each spouse has an annual exclusion. Couples can therefore therefor transfer a combined total of $26,000 to a single recipient each year. If the property you would gift your daughter is worth $35,000 you would have a taxable gift in the amount of $9,000 (35,000 - 26,000 = 9,000).

If a gift in excess of $13,000 is made by one spouse, the couple can use both annual exclusions by filing gift tax returns (Form 709, www.irs.gov/pub/irs/pdf/f709.pdf, electing to split gifts.

A gift tax return (Form 709) must be filed if a taxpayer makes any "taxable gift" in the calendar year. "Taxable gifts" are generally amounts over $13,000 given to someone other than a spouse or charity. Although tax is calculated on the return, no tax is due until the taxpayer exhausts the $ 1 million exclusion.

Marvin,EA
Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent
Marvin,EA
Marvin,EA
Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent