Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I inherited $60,000.00 from my mother through an AIG account

Customer Question
. Should I be taxed...
I inherited $60,000.00 from my mother through an AIG account . Should I be taxed on this?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
2/2/2009
Tax Professional: Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer replied 8 years ago
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer

DearCustomer

this depends on what sort of AIG account it was?

WAs this life insurance, IRA, etc?

Not life insurance. AIG account and Suntrust IRA account
What else do you need to know ?

DearCustomer

If you inherit an IRA you have to pay taxes on distributions at your marginal rate, plus you have to pay taxes on any earnings that accrued to the account after inheriting it.

The tax rate should be at your marginal rate.

Please read this comprehesive discussion about inherited IRA's. http://www.moneymanagment.info/inheritedira.htm

this is not what I was wanting to know I need more details
when is inheritance money from innuity accounts not taxed?

Dear nutmeg,

Thank you for getting back to me.

The death benefit is not taxable.

But annuity payments are.

If you inherited a death benefit that would not be taxable at all.

there is no inheritance tax on the annuity payments but whether you continue the structured payments or a lump sum, all distributions or payments other than death benefits woudl be subject to income tax at your marginal rate.

But please follow:

You have the option to coninue any annuity payments started by the person you inherited from or withdraw all the money within five years, or to set up an income stream for a set number of years or over your life expectancy

If youi choose the five-year option, you can take all the money tomorrow, take several withdrawals over the next five years, or wait until the end of the period and withdraw it all at once. Any money left in the annuity continues to grow tax-deferred. Under this option, any money you receive will be fully taxable until you have withdrawn all of the earnings. After that, all withdrawals would be tax-free.

The taxes owed would be only on the difference between what was invested by the decedent and the total payments received.

Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer