How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MequonCPA Your Own Question
MequonCPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2342
Experience:  CPA, Over 30 yrs experience w/individuals and small businesses. Masters in Tax.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
MequonCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Divorce and Taxes Kicked out of my home on June 28, 2008. Divorce

Resolved Question:

Divorce and Taxes
Kicked out of my home on June 28, 2008.
Divorce become finalized in October 2008 but reverted back to the original medication agreement signing in July 2008 after judge denied her appeal.
X gets house in agreement including all bills, i.e, mortgage, property taxes, repairs, etc.
Mortgage was paid from our joint account through August 2008.
X paid September, October and November.

Does she get to claim all the mortgage interest for the entire year or can I claim some of that.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  MequonCPA replied 8 years ago.



What state do you live in.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
State of Florida
Expert:  MequonCPA replied 8 years ago.



Without seeing the actual documents it is difficult to determine the amount you can deduct.


However, at least for the period January 1 through June 30, you should be entitled to the amount of real estate taxes and mortgage interest in a ratio based on your deposits into the joint checking account as a percentage of all deposits made to that account.

MequonCPA and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you