How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29558
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my son wants to file taxes but I support him & while he was

Customer Question

my son wants to file taxes but I support him & while he was in college someboby told him that he can get alot of money back just because he was in college. Is this true? keep in mind he only made 2800 and only 146.00 were take out for federal taxes
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 8 years ago.

If your son earned only $2800 - it is unlikely that he provided more than half of his own support - and he is full tile student under 24 - he is your dependent.



Please refer to the IRS publication 501 for the definition of qualified child - - see table 5 on the page 11.




There is no way your son will receive a refund for that $146 that were withheld.


Lev and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I am going to claim him but he told me that he's going to do it anyway so what should i do
Expert:  Lev replied 8 years ago.

The only difference is on his tax return - assuming he will file the form 1040EZ -


On box 5 - If someone can claim you (or your spouse if a joint return) as a dependent, check the applicable box(es) below and enter the amount from the worksheet on back.

and the amount on the line 5 would be $5450 instead of $8,950.

That might affect your ability to file electronically - in this case you would mail a paper return to the IRS - but will not affect his refund or your qualification to claim him as a dependent.