Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

my son wants to file taxes but I support him & while he was

Customer Question
in college someboby told him...
my son wants to file taxes but I support him & while he was in college someboby told him that he can get alot of money back just because he was in college. Is this true? keep in mind he only made 2800 and only 146.00 were take out for federal taxes
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
2/2/2009
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 8 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

If your son earned only $2800 - it is unlikely that he provided more than half of his own support - and he is full tile student under 24 - he is your dependent.

Please refer to the IRS publication 501 for the definition of qualified child - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdf - see table 5 on the page 11.

id="JA_img_table">
graphic

There is no way your son will receive a refund for that $146 that were withheld.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
I am going to claim him but he told me that he's going to do it anyway so what should i do

The only difference is on his tax return - assuming he will file the form 1040EZ - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040ez.pdf

On box 5 - If someone can claim you (or your spouse if a joint return) as a dependent, check the applicable box(es) below and enter the amount from the worksheet on back.

and the amount on the line 5 would be $5450 instead of $8,950.

That might affect your ability to file electronically - in this case you would mail a paper return to the IRS - but will not affect his refund or your qualification to claim him as a dependent.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor