How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask jgordosea Your Own Question
jgordosea, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3161
Experience:  I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
jgordosea is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a US citizen but, my husband it not. He does not have

Customer Question

I am a US citizen but, my husband it not. He does not have a social security number and he does not have a TIN number either. How do I file my taxes this year?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  jgordosea replied 8 years ago.



You will have to get the Individual Taxpayer Identification Number "ITIN" for your husband.


To obtain an ITIN, you must complete IRS Form W-7, IRS Application for Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (PDF) . The Form W-7 requires documentation substantiating foreign/alien status and true identity for each individual.


You can process your application through an Acceptance Agent authorized by the IRS.

Or, each ITIN applicant must now:

  • Apply using the revised Form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number; and
  • Attach a federal income tax return to the Form W-7.

For more detailed information on ITINs, refer to:

I hope this helps for gettting the ITN before or as you file your return.


Best wishes.





Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for your reply. I also found this information on the web however, what got me stuck was the fact that my husband does NOT work. He is not disabled or elderly or anything like that. He has just been unemployed (kind of hard to find work without a social security number).


Anyways, in order to apply for a ITIN # XXXXX want, like you said, a federal income tax return attached to the application. I believe this to be like a W2 form; proof of your earning for the year. Please let me know if I am wrong.


So... where does that put me know. How do I file now?

Expert:  jgordosea replied 8 years ago.

Hello again,


You should attach the W-7 and documentation to your joint 1040 when you mail it in.


Or, you can take the documentation and W-7 to an Acceptance Agent authorized by the IRS.


I hope this helps to clarify for you.

Related Tax Questions