Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am a US citizen but, my husband it not. He does not have

Customer Question
I am a US citizen...
I am a US citizen but, my husband it not. He does not have a social security number and he does not have a TIN number either. How do I file my taxes this year?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
2/2/2009
Tax Professional: jgordosea, Enrolled Agent replied 8 years ago
jgordosea
jgordosea, Enrolled Agent

Greetings

You will have to get the Individual Taxpayer Identification Number "ITIN" for your husband.

To obtain an ITIN, you must complete IRS Form W-7, IRS Application for Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (PDF) . The Form W-7 requires documentation substantiating foreign/alien status and true identity for each individual.

You can process your application through an Acceptance Agent authorized by the IRS.

Or, each ITIN applicant must now:

• Apply using the revised Form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number; and
  • Attach a federal income tax return to the Form W-7.

For more detailed information on ITINs, refer to:

I hope this helps for gettting the ITN before or as you file your return.

Best wishes.

Thank you for your reply. I also found this information on the web however, what got me stuck was the fact that my husband does NOT work. He is not disabled or elderly or anything like that. He has just been unemployed (kind of hard to find work without a social security number).

Anyways, in order to apply for a ITIN # XXXXX want, like you said, a federal income tax return attached to the application. I believe this to be like a W2 form; proof of your earning for the year. Please let me know if I am wrong.

So... where does that put me know. How do I file now?

Hello again,

You should attach the W-7 and documentation to your joint 1040 when you mail it in.

Or, you can take the documentation and W-7 to an Acceptance Agent authorized by the IRS.

I hope this helps to clarify for you.

jgordosea
jgordosea
jgordosea, Enrolled Agent