How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MequonCPA Your Own Question
MequonCPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2342
Experience:  CPA, Over 30 yrs experience w/individuals and small businesses. Masters in Tax.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
MequonCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Operating a Delaware registered LLC in CA for 2 years and filing

This answer was rated:

Operating a Delaware registered LLC in CA for 2 years and filing sched C 2006 and 2007. Can S corp or C corp status be elected now for 2008 or is it too late?



The election to be taxed as a corporation needed to be made by March 15, 2008 to be effective for the 2008 tax year. You can file Form 8832 now for the 2009 tax year. I have provided a link to the form with instructions below.



Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Hi Steve, thanks for confirming. Burdened with vey high self employment tax for 2008.
1. Please let me know if there is any solution or if not, how to request to pay these taxes in installments.
2.Can I file for C-Corp by March 15 and make it effective from 1/1/09?

Thanks for your time. I appreciate it.

Eugene -


The upside is you had a good year.


Yes, if you elect by March 15th it can be effective as of January 1st (The sooner the better). You will need to pay reasonable salaries, withhold and remit taxes and file quarterly payroll tax reports. I you additionally elect S corporation status, the IRS is specifically looking at reasonable compensation See link below.,,id=200293,00.html


Once you file your Form 1040 without full payment, you will receive a notice of balance due from the IRS. They will also include information about setting up a payment plan. I have provided a link to the IRS web page that summarizes the situation and provides links to futher information.,,id=181096,00.html


MequonCPA and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

This is great! Thanks for your help, Steve!
You're welcome. Glad to be of service.