Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

question about filing both a homeowners and renters refund.

Customer Question
My husband I were seperated...
My husband I were seperated (not legally) from jan-june of 2008. He rented an apartment during that time and I remained in our house with our children. He got a crp for the time he rented and also we own our home and pay property taxes.   My questions is, Can we file for both a property tax refund and renters refund?   On our MN state and Federal taxes we have always filed a joint return. Does this situation make a difference in how we file this year? Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated? Thanks!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
2/1/2009
Tax Professional: Merlo, Accountant replied 8 years ago
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Hello karebeary,

Yes, you and your husband may each claim a credit. You can claim the credit for the property taxes and he may claim a renters credit.

Please refer to the following Minnesota web site under the section titled "Special Homeowner Situations".

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:7fjuvXANrcAJ:www.taxes.state.mn.us/taxes/prop_refund/refund_information/content/homeowners_refund.shtml+minnesota+property+tax+refund+married&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

You can still file a joint return but you will have to each file separate M1PR forms to claim these credits.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you.
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant

So yoursaying you think we can file a married joint return for Federal AND State taxes but seperately for the property tax credits?

Hello karebeary,

Yes, you may file your taxes on a joint return but you will each have to file separate forms for the tax credits.

On the Form M1PR where it asks for your gross income as reported on your federal return, you should only enter the amount of your income during the months you lived by yourself, plus the combined income of you and your spouse for the months you lived together. Each spouse should do the same. You will then attach a statement to the Form M1PR to explain why the amount does not match what was reported on your joint return, and show a breakdown of how you arrived at the income you are reporting.

Thank you.
Merlo
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant